Sunday, August 9, 2009

Management

While the customers are the source of the majority of my annoyances, the management at the restaurant also frequently plays a hand in them as well. Everything in the restaurant seems to be run half-assed and backwards. Our GM is not qualified for his position and had only obtained it because another manager left and the company was stuck. He refuses to go and talk to tables when there are problems, he rather just void off the food. This means they always get what they want and make the server look like the idiot. This is just an example, but I digress....

What annoyed me is the scheduling manager. She's a trip in herself. I have been off for the past two weeks. I requested it off back in February when my family booked the vacation. (I may live on my own and support myself but I'm still encouraged to come on their vacations for free, heaven.) So giving me off should not have been any problem since my requests were put in so long ago, and it wasn't I checked the schedule before I left and it had all been taken care of. For once...

Well I am still on NJ and the restaurant is in DC. I don't plan on returning until my next shift because I want to spend as much time as I can with my family. Since I hate calling, for my own stupid reasons, I asked one of my server friends to check my schedule for next week and let me know it. Well it was not posted until Saturday. Mind you, our week starts on Sunday. Luckily I don't work weekends so I would have possibly been booking it down to DC at midnight last night. Yes, if I was concerned I may have to work I would have called early, but still why post it so late?? I could understand if she was still revising it but she also has it completed by Tuesday or Wednesday, just never posts until the weekend. Bullshit.

And then, magically! my being away seems to have caused my availability to change! Amazing! Ya know, the availability forms we fill out and they submit to CORPORATE saying what days we can and cannot work. For the past 2 years I have been there, I have NEVER had Saturday as an available day. I use that as a day for errands and other work, etc. It is also when I'll visit home and have other friends visit. This is never an issue because everyone else always wants to work Saturday. Let em! I guess it was ASSUMED that since I spent two weeks with my family I wouldn't be going home again this weekend, which I am not, but really, there shouldn't be any change to what my permanent availability schedule is. I know I could get it picked up if I needed but its more the fact of the matter....

Well I really should just make the money and be happy I at least have a lot of shifts this week and enjoy the last of my bittersweet days off before its back to hell on Tuesday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment